Are People Living Longer?
As medical advancements continue to improve along with nutrition, people are living longer, and life expectancy continues to get longer. Census projections are estimating 25% of the population will be 65 and up by 2060. Many of these new seniors are more physically agile, in better health, possess better coping skills, and are more emotionally well adjusted. Many have higher education and more wealth than previous generations. Although people may be naturally living longer there is plenty you can do to further extend your life. Equally important is living a happy life, not just a longer one. What follows are ways to achieve greater happiness along with longevity.
What are the Best Ways to Improve and Prolong Life?
- Physical Activity: Studies show that as little as 15 minutes a day could extend your life by three years. The old adage of ‘use it, or lose it’, is very true. Allowing muscle tone to atrophy puts people at risk for falls and breaks.
- Smoking: Although our society is at an all-time low for smoking, there are still many who smoke. Research shows on average smoking will cost people 10 years of their life.
- Healthy Diet: It is important to get a good mix of foods for balanced nutrition. Likewise, that balance must include not overeating.
- Alcohol Use: Regular and heavy alcohol use is linked to numerous medical problems and many accidents. Keep alcohol use social and moderate to avoid risks.
- Sleep: Getting 6-8 hours of sleep is the ideal amount. Getting too little or too much has been linked to shorter life spans.
- Stress/Anxiety: It is important to learn effective coping skills to keep stress levels lower. Those with high stress and anxiety are at double the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and cancer.
- Friendships: Many studies have found this is one the most significant factors in overall happiness. Friends are great for both support and entertainment.
- Romantic Relationships: People in long-term relationships live longer as a group and report more happiness and life satisfaction.
- Purpose and Meaning: Having goals, drive, ambition, and a reason to live leads to a longer life.
- Happiness: Finding it is key. Happy people live 18% longer than unhappy people. Deal with your mental health issues, find hobbies and friends, and enjoy life.
If you want to explore ways to be healthier and potentially live longer, feel free to contact IPC so you can schedule an appointment with one of our providers for a more thorough assessment. Please call us now at 763-416-4167, or request an appointment on our website: WWW.IPC-MN.COM so we can sit down with you and complete a thorough assessment and help you develop a plan of action that will work for you. Life is too short to be unhappy. Find the peace of mind you deserve.
To get more great resources, sign up for our newsletter, like us on Face Book, or follow us on Twitter.
Innovative Psychological Consultants
Peace of Mind You Deserve
Schedule An Appointment
"*" indicates required fields